Friday, December 28, 2007

Troops Generosity Shines

I do not have much to report from yesterday but I wanted to share an article I read in the USA Today. Actually it is in the letters section but I am sure you can all appreciate it.

Troops' generosity shines

I'm a flight attendant. As I greeted my passengers recently while they boarded my small regional jet in Baltimore, a young man came aboard.

He looked about my son's age, and I noticed that he had on a t-shirt with the logo of my son's favorite skateboard company. When I commented on the T-shirt, the young man told me he had another one in his backpack. He changed into the other shirt and literally gave me the shirt off his back as a gift to my son. He said he was in the Air Force and had bought the shirts in Iraq. He is from Texas but wasn't going to be home fro Christmas.

I had to turn away briefly to compose myself, as I was so moved by his pure, simple heart of generosity. I thought about how this is the caliber of men and women who are selflessly sacrificing their lives so that Americans can have Freedom and peace. I am so grateful for everything our soldiers do at home and all over the world for us, most of whom they don't even know.

I turned back to him - full of appreciation and amazement - and I told him, with tears in my eyes, that I would carry him in my heart and that I would pray he returns home again safely.

I extend heartfelt thanks to the unsung heroes: the men and women in Iraq, Afghanistan and worldwide who are serving our country. I deeply appreciate their sacrifices. I have no doubt that they, just like the young man I met, would give the shirt off their backs to a stranger.

Karen Lenz
Richland Center, Wis


I was moved to tears when I read it and just knew I had to share it here. To the women who wrote...Thank You for telling this story. to the young man who "gave the shirt of his back"...Thank you for serving our great nation and my prayers are with you and your family.

This is all I have time for today. Shay and I are off to the Magic Kingdom to spend the day together. Just the two of us. How awesome is that?

Have a good day my friends and see you tomorrow.

Michelle

No comments: