Thursday, July 3, 2008

Continuation of my Karate experience

I got a couple of comments yesterday from some very nice ladies who seemed to be impressed about my karate. Thank you, I am humbled.


My brother has done martial arts since he was 13. Back then I didn't even think about doing it. That was his thing. When Shay and I moved back to Seattle from Chicago I thought it would be good for her. Went to watch and she did not really want to. A couple years later we went back and there were girls her age and they embraced her into the fold. I suspect that it had something to do with who her uncle was, but I learned that "we" welcome all new students like that to a certain degree. I sat watching for 3 months, reading my newspaper, getting to know the adults in the class. And I would watch and say "I can do that. If she can do that, I can do that". So after my foot healed from surgery I started class. In the beginning it is something you do and after awhile it becomes something that you are. I love my karate-ka (fellow students) and they are all a big part of my life. It has been especially joyful in that it is something that I do with Shay AND my brother. At the 30th Anniversary Banquet he gave a speech and got choked up when he said how proud he was that his sister and niece were in it with him.


I have been lost for the past year because I have not been able to work out very much. I am hoping that this dojo in New Port Richey is what I am looking for.


As a side note I wanted to let you all know who the head Sensei of my organization is. Have you ever heard of Yoshida Sauce? Well, that is him. We call him Sensei Yoshida and he is an awesome karate-ka.

Here is a picture of some of my favorite black belts. My brother, Jay. Sensei Yoshida, Sensei Yamizaki (from California), Sensei James and Sensei Mark. As you can probably tell, I did not get my brother height or dark complexion.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

So will you start instructing little ones? Will you share your gift? I did not know that was your passion so when you showed up on face book with your black belt photo I had NO IDEA who that was!!! Looking back it is funny now that I thought you were a spam! (sorry!) Rest up today, and hit it hard again tomorrow, oops, Saturday.

Michele said...

Nice blog.

I agree with your statement that karate "becomes something that you are". It is great that your family is involved in karate. My daughter is nine and is only mildly interested in karate. Maybe when she is older ...

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Still incredibly impressed. You are simply awesome.

Hallie :)

Lea said...

Way cool Michelle, I had no idea.

Both my kids are sashed in WuShu KungFu. J is 3rd degree Green. V is 1st degree Blue.

(Degenerative discs in my back said 'no way' to my participation.)

Black belt, eh? I promise not to mess with YOU! :)

Debbie said...

Michelle opens mouth and stuff spills out...you're talking! About you! I love it! We're amazed! See?

LOL, I think it's wonderful you 3 share this love and your brother? Good looking man! I'm also happy you may have found a treat under the couch for Michelle :)